Lough Rynn Castle history
Lough Rynn lies on the original historic grounds of the medieval estate and castle of Mac Raghnaill family.
The Mac Raghnaill castle was situated at the opposite side to where the castle now lies.
In 1883 Robert Bermingham, viscount Clement family built a mock Tudor house looking straight out over the lough. This is now where the current castle is.
1889 Lough Rynn was massively refurbished and and new wing was built.
More on Lough Rynn
The estate was bought in the early 21st century by the Hanly family. They renovated, modernised and transformed from an incredible ancestral home to the beautiful castle and in 2006 the castle was opened as a hotel.
Lough Rynn is now a luxurious castle hotel and estate gardens. A perfect place to enjoy a short stay, a visit for a walk around the gardens which are stunning and there is even the added plus of the walled gardens. In all the estate stands at around 300 acres.
Where is Lough Rynn
Located 5 minutes from the town of Mohill and 20 minutes from Carrick and Shannon in County Leitrim.
How to get there
From Dublin or Sligo follow N4 take exit to mohill at R202
From Mohill Town Centre to Lough Rynn, County Leitrim
- At Crossroads turn right onto Main Street Lower (signposted Carrigallen and Lough Rynn Hotel)
- Continue to “Y” junction signposted Carrigallen (left turn) and Drumlish (right turn)
- Turn right onto Drumlish Road signposted Lough Rynn Caravan Park
- Continue on this road for approximately 3km
- Then turn left at Lough Rynn Castle Finger Sign, continue up this road for 1.5km
- The Lough Rynn Castle Estate & Gardens entrance is to the right hand side through the second set of pillars and black gates
Plan your route with Google maps
The castles grounds are free to roam, to book rooms or food options see website link below.
24 hours 7 days
Grab A coffee
Coffee is available at the hotel however if your coming from Carrick on Shannon we recommend a organic blend coffee from Honestly Kitchen situated on the N4 out of Carrick.
Where to eat
No better place to eat is the hotel itself, with a bar and restaurant menu to choose from your be spoilt for choice. Lough rynn Sandstone restaurant is known as one of the best hotel restaurants in Ireland.
Lough Rynn Castle Estate & Gardens
Mohill, Co Leitrim, N41 WE16, Ireland
Lough Rynn Castle Website
+353 (0) 71 9632700
Other Things To do in Leitrim
- Glencar waterfall
- The shed gin distillery
- Carrick and Shannon markets
- Eagle’s Rock
- Devils Chimney Waterfall